castle

Castle complex

The Saltworks Castle in Wieliczka was the historical seat of the mine’s management board between the 13th century and 1945. Currently, the facility is made available to tourists and is the official seat of the Cracow Saltworks of Wieliczka.

Northern Castle: formerly known as “The Salt Mine House”, established in the 14th century, not open to tourists.

Central Castle: built in the 19th century. It used to house utility rooms, the living quarters of the janitor and a fire brigade headquarters, as well as a storage of fire-extinguishing equipment; it was adapted for the Museum’s purposes and the “Królewska” Restaurant, which operates here.

Tower: (14th century) the only facility of this type preserved in Medieval urban fortifications. During the reign of Casimir the Great, the city was surrounded with walls with two gates and nineteen towers. Currently, the tower is open to tourists. Inside it is possible to see photographs presenting its former and current appearance. The windows provide a view onto the castle and a panorama of Wieliczka.

Shaft: the oldest mining shaft in Wieliczka from the middle of the 13th century. Its floor projection is in the shape of a rectangle with dimensions of 3.4 m x 2.4 m. Its actual depth remains unknown (research was stopped at a depth of 7 m); it is assumed that its deepening was completed before it reached the salt deposit.

Saltworks kitchen (15th century): the walls of the first “mass catering facility” were reconstructed in the castle courtyard; the administrators of the Saltworks and the salt buyers who transported it over land received free meals here.

Defence Wall from the end of the 13th century

This entry was posted in castle. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
F