SALTDIGGER’S HORN

(1534) auroch’s horn in silver framing, symbolizes former wealth of the Cracow Saltworks; presented at the “Cracow Saltworks: Royal Enterprise” exhibition

CRYSTALS FROM CRYSTAL GROTTOES

A collection of salt specimens, forms of secondary crystallization and paleontological exhibits make up the exhibition entitled “Geology of Salt Deposits in Poland”

MODEL OF NEOLITHIC SALTWORKS

(3500 B.C.) presented at the exhibition “Salt Making and Mine Dewatering”

COUNTER

It was used to mark the quantity of extracted salt; it is presented by the Saxon treadmill (1st half of the 18th century) at the exhibition entitled “Vertical Transportation Equipment and Devices”

MINING LAMPS

Forming a part of an exhibition “Former Mining Equipment and Devices”

POLISH TREADMILL

The oldest (17th century), the largest and the most valuable among horse-drawn extraction machines in the Museum’s collection. Presented at the exhibition “Treadmill for Vertical Transportation”

SALT STALAGMITE

In the form of a Christmas tree intensely tinged by iron oxides, presented at the exhibition “Geology of Rock Salt and Sulphur”

MODEL OF WIELICZKA

Presents the city in the scale of 1:100 executed on the basis of the plan of Marcin German of 1631 – 1638; constitutes a part of exhibition “History of the Mining Town of Wieliczka”

ELECTRIC ENGINE

Electric engine produced by Siemens approx. 1950; a carriage attached to it was used to transport miners

TOURIST TRAIN

A horse-drawn train used to transport tourists in the 19th century; presented at the exhibition “Tourism in the Wieliczka Salt Mine”

HUNGARIAN TREADMILL

(1st half of the 18th century) an improved version of the Saxon treadmill, presented at the exhibition “Machines for Horizontal Transport and Transport in Inclined Drifts”

CROSS-SHAPED HORSE GEAR

(17th century) a prototype of treadmill; presented at the exhibition “Machines for Vertical Transportation”

HUNGARIAN CART

It was used to transport salt; shown at the exhibition “Equipment for Horizontal Transport and Transport in Inclined Drifts”

SAURAU RESERVE

One of the most beautiful and most interesting mining pits; on account of its picturesqueness, it was opened for tourists already in 1877

SALT DRIPSTONES

Secondary crystallization of salt creates interesting forms of the so-called salt cauliflowers and constitutes a part of the Maria Teresa II Reserve

CONCERT HALL

Its name commemorates Alfons Długosz, founder of the Cracow Saltworks Museum in Wieliczka

MINING TRADITIONS

The exhibition presents mining uniforms; there is also a multimedia stand

GUARDIAN ANGEL

The oldest painting from the Wieliczka mine (1691), in the past located in one of the underground chapels, currently at exhibition entitled “The Sacred in Salt Heritage”

CHAPEL OF THE BLESSED JOHN PAUL II

Currently, work is conducted on interior design in the chapel

NORTHERN BUILDING

(14th century) houses a library, a reading room and scientific facilities of the Museum

CENTRAL BUILDING

(13th/14th century) the oldest building in the castle complex; the castle houses temporary and permanent exhibitions

MINING SHAFT

(middle of the 13th century ) the oldest mining shaft in Poland

TOWER

(14th century) the only one preserved from medieval city fortifications encompassing 19 towers and 2 gates

SOUTHERN BUILDING

(19th century) with educational rooms, Museum facilities and the Royal Restaurant

GOTHIC HALL

the most representative room in the Saltworks Castle, with a ribbed vault supported by one pillar

HISTORY OF THE CITY

the exhibition presents issues from the town’s history, guilds that operated here, well-known inhabitants, history of the mining school and a model of 19th century Wieliczka

SALT CELLARS:
TINY MASTERPIECES

the largest Polish collection of salt cellars (over 600 exhibits, 17th – 20th century) encompasses salt-cellars made of porcelain, silver, tin, glass, wood, faience, bone, quartz and mother-of-pearl

SALTWORKS KITCHEN

(15th century) walls of the first Polish “canteen for workers” where miners, the saltworks administration and merchants received free-of-charge meals

ARCHAEOLOGICAL
EXHIBITION

presents the history of settlement in the area of Wieliczka and its vicinity; located in the original Castle vaults

DEFENCE WALL

(end of 13th century) in oval shape, surrounded the original castle building

STORE-GALLERY

it is possible to purchase interesting publications and original souvenirs from Wieliczka, as well as buy a ticket to the Castle here

LIBRARY AND READING ROOM

the library resources encompass documents, manuscripts and a wealthy collection of files regarding the operation of the Cracow Saltworks and the city

SALTWORKS GARDEN

a representative green area for the Castle, established in the 16th century; in the Saxon times, it was transformed into an Italian style garden.

F